Hurricane Irma

I live in Palm Beach County, Florida and as you can see on this map, we are expecting to be hit by Hurricane Irma. This storm is not only fast – either hitting us as a 4 or 5 on the Saffir Simpson scale, but also enormous, I’ve never seen anything like it. According to the National Hurricane Center, it is the strongest Atlantic basin hurricane ever recorded. It is twice the width of Florida! With any luck, the projections that it has moved slightly to the east is a good sign, the western side of a hurricane is the “better side.” Whatever that means. Oh, and right behind this bitch is Hurricane Jose – we are hoping he dies at sea.

cat 4

I’ve lived through more hurricanes than I care to think about, starting with David in 1979, Andrew in 1992, Wilma in 2005 and many more in between all those. We took a direct hit from Wilma twelve years ago. Lost our roof, which landed on our cars – lots of damage, and the landscape of the community was forever changed. Lost our electricity for over a week. But we were safe.

Because of Hurricane Harvey, people here are in full blown panic mode. The store shelves have been emptied, the gas stations depleted. People who live in evacuation areas (flood zones) should be evacuating to shelters. Emergency operations officials are telling everyone else to shelter at home so people don’t get stranded on the road.

Palm Beach County has been under a Hurricane Watch since this morning, yet the library stayed open (although closed early today, at 3:00 pm.) Many of the library staff were ordered to “volunteer” at shelters so there was a skeleton crew left behind. Due to various health and family issues, I am not helping at a shelter, although I will be making phone calls after the storm and anything else that I can do as needed.

My husband has been working on making us safe for days. He’s putting up the hurricane shutters, clearing the yard furniture, etc. We have enough water and chemically laden food to last at least a week, and some comforting snacks, too. I have another load or two of laundry left and I need to dig out the French press so we can have coffee even if we lose power.

We are as ready as we can be. We are hoping for the best and that everyone stays safe.

22 Responses to Hurricane Irma

1. conniepsaunders says:

I am praying that somehow Irma will fool the weather forecasters.. May God bless you!

2. Mary C. says:

Hope Hurricane Irma weakens/changes course before hitting Florida. Praying for the safety of all in the path of the storm.

3. Kathleen Gardiner says:

Glad to hear you’re getting prepped. When I lived in North Port, FL, hurricane Charley came down my street! My husband stood in the garage and watched it. Total devastation two miles from our house. I cried at the devastation. I hope you and your family remain safe.

4. Jan Zahrly says:

Thank you. I am in Fort Pierce and it was comforting to read your letter. Shelter in place, huddle in the bathroom or deep closet. God bless. Stay safe. peace, janz

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Stacy Alesi’s BookBitch.com™ wrote:

> Stacy Alesi posted: “I live in Palm Beach County, Florida and as you can > see on this map, we are expecting to be hit by Hurricane Irma. This storm > is not only fast – either hitting us as a 4 or 5 on the Saffir Simpson > scale, but also enormous, I’ve never seen anything like it” >

5. Lani Strom says:

Please stay safe. My 96 and 93 parents are in Delray and we are trying to get them into a shelter now.they are too fragile to get on a plane and we are just praying .

6. Shelley Harynuk says:

Stay safe. We’re hoping for the best case scenario for you. We live on Canada’s west coast and our disasters are fires. Don’t think one is better than the other when you’re in the path.

Thinking of you and your family and neighbours.

All the best Shelley

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Stacy Alesi’s BookBitch.com™ wrote:

7. Esther Whatley says:

Stacy, looks as though we’re all in the cone now. Scary looking storm. I’ve lived down here 17 years so have been through a few and this one looks really different. I also stocked up with water, chocolate candy bars, chips and Cokes. Wishing the best for you and yours for safety and quick recovery.

8. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

Stay safe and hopefully the hurricane will change direction and go out to the ocean without harming anyone or anything more.

9. Lisa murray says:

Stay safe! Prayers for all in Irmas path. My daughters family lives in ha and it’s still thought to be at a cat 2 when it hits there. Have friend in palm beach who can’t leave due to father with Alzheimer’s refusing to leave the house let us know at earliest that you have gotten thru.
    Friends in Puerto Rico are without power but made it thru pretty unscathed Hope she and Jose and Katia blow off into the Atlantic

10. amarrison89 says:

Praying. 🙏 Stay safe. I have family in Palm Beach county, and a bestie who lives down on FL as well.

%d bloggers like this: