A personal note

Dear Readers,

I’m taking this time to let you know that I will be slowing down a bit with the blog. For most of my life, I’ve read a book a day. But a few years ago I started needing reading glasses, which I am not all that comfortable with, so that slowed down my reading. I do love reading on my Kindle or iPad sans glasses, but even that I find somewhat tiring as well. That slowed my reading down to 3-4 books a week. Yes, I can hear you laughing, I know that’s still more than most people read but for me it felt strange.

As I got used to that, I discovered another vision problem, this one a bit more serious than just aging eyes. I was diagnosed with a rare form of glaucoma called Narrow Angle or Angle-Closure Glaucoma. I am very fortunate to live near the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the best eye hospital in the country (US News & World Report) and had laser surgery called laser iridotomy. The ophthalmologist also has me using prescription eye drops.

A year or so later, I started having vision problems again. Blurry vision, night blindness, intermittent spots before my eyes, all of which made reading more difficult. I’ve now added another eye drop to my day which is helping a bit. I go back to the doctor next week and will see what he has to say.

Meanwhile, I’m down to reading just a couple of books a week and since my job keeps me on a computer for most of the day, which I find fatiguing to my eyes, it is also slowing down my review process.

Is there a bigger fear in life for a reader than losing one’s vision? Not for me. So I’m being prudent here, slowing things down, and I wanted to let you all know.

If you subscribe to the blog, you will be notified when I post a new review. Otherwise, check back when you can. I have some awesome videos to share, including an interview with Diana Gabaldon that Outlander fans won’t want to miss! And of course, I am still giving away books.

Thanks for your understanding, and hopefully this will just be a minimal setback. One can only hope for the best…

16 Responses to A personal note

1. Karen Hansen says:

I have cut my reading to almost 0 because of vision problems so I understand completely. I have moved to audio books and download them from the library. It took me awhile but I am now used to them and totally enjoy them. I’m trying to get back to reading regular books a little and have started with some short ones like James Patterson’s Bookshots. They’re all around 150 pages so it works a little better for me. Good luck and I hope the Dr. has an easy solution.

• Stacy Alesi says:

Thanks so much for writing. I’m sorry to hear about your vision problems as well. Audiobooks are wonderful, but I find I can only listen to certain books, like women’s fiction, otherwise my mind wanders! Best of luck to you!

2. rae6684 says:

thanks for the update, and I hope things improve for you

3. Carol M says:

As a reader I know that taking care of your eyes is very important. Even if you don’t read eyesight is one thing no one wants to lose. Take care of your self and read less. I hope that helps and you don’t have anymore problems. I’ve never tried audio books but that does sound like a good idea. Take care and good luck!

4. Jennifer Oikle says:

Smart to take care of your eyes first! All the best and may your vision be safe.

5. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I’m having eye problems at the moment too so I sympathise completely – not only does it hamper reading but computer work and driving too. I do hope that your next visit to your Dr proves to be positive. Your eyesight must come first.

6. dan says:

Thanks for the update. This will give us a chance to catch up on so many of your past great recommendations, but I would never wish anything like this on anyone. You will be added to our prayers, hoping for great news a full recovery!

7. Carol Lawman says:

I’ve had to slow down a bit as well; computers all day at work and a few books a month. I can’t begin to imagine what it would be like not to read again. I also wonder sometimes how awful it would be to die and miss reading amazing books by new authors – I might have to haunt some libraries when I pass just to keep up!

8. Mary says:

Wishing you all the best, Stacy. I’m sorry you’re dealing with vision issues. I hope the drops will help a lot. I completely understand why you’d want/need to cut back a bit. Take care!

9. Rainne says:

I hope things improve for you. Take care.

10. Stacy Alesi says:

Thank you all for writing, I greatly appreciate all your kind thoughts!

11. Chaim Klein says:

Stacy, if I may call you that, I was saddened to read of your current travails and hope that you have a complete recovery that enables you to read even more than you read before your vision became a challenge. I must thank you that you have given both my wife and I countless hours of pleasure with your recommendations,, despite the fact that only 10%of what we read is in common. This reflects the wide diversity of books on your blog. Best wishes for a refua’h shelaymo (hebrew for a “complete and total recovery). Chaim Klei

12. Jan Zahrly says:

My vision is so bad now that I am far behind on email. And I never was slow when I was younger. Students often commented on my rapid response to their questions and comments. And like you, my greatest fear is losing my eyesight completely. I manage this by faith in a loving God, doing exactly what the docs tell me, lots more rest than I have ever had in my life; I even retired early.
    So, do what those docs tell you (as long as you have competent docs – hard to find sometimes in Florida) and read when you can Like you, I am so aware that I am reading fewer books than before and it frustrates me because I have always sped through books. And I am now more willing to stop reading a book when I realize that it is pretty bad; poorly written or obvious plot or a bodice – ripper from the beginning.
    Thank you for writing about your eye travails. It comforts me since you feel like a true friend (coming into my home several times a week).
    I hope that your eyes improve with all the drops and pills and exams and procedures. I keep my Dr. Seuss book, “You’re Only Old Once! A Book for Obsolete Children” on my coffee table and read it once a week at least. How about a review of it?
    And always remember that getting old is not for the faint of heart or week. It is tough work to fall apart a piece at a time.
    Thank you for sharing your personal issues. Please keep up the reviews and give us your great insight on books as w
    ell as bringing in authors to comment. love and peace to you, my sister. Janz

• Stacy Alesi says:

Thanks so much for writing and sharing your own travails. I feel very fortunate to have the best eye hospital in the country here in South Florida. In fact, I have met people who have come here to Bascom Palmer from all over the world. So I have faith in my doctors. Aging sucks, and after working with elderly people for so many years I am unfortunately very familiar with what’s in store for all of us and it’s not pretty.

%d bloggers like this: