I am delighted to welcome novelist Lis Wiehl! Being a popular legal analyst for Fox News, Lis needs to get her glam on at a moment’s notice. Here are some of her tips and tricks.
My Favorite Beauty Tips and Tricks:
How to Keep It Together Fast and Cheap
by Lis Wiehl
1. I always carry a stash of self-adhesive fake eyelashes strips. Press them on and presto! your eyes look fabulous and you skip the always treacherous eyeliner. You can get them at any drug store for between $5 and $7.
2. Gather your hair up in a scrunchy and leave it up as long as you can. When you let it down, you’ll have amazing volume. As if you just had a full blow out!
3. The night before you wash your hair, dip the ends in warm coconut oil, and sleep with it on. It’s the best conditioner ever. Your pillowcases may need a little Shout before you throw them in the wash, but it’s worth it. And the smell of the coconut oil can trigger dreams of a tropical paradise.
4. If you don’t get enough sleep (hello!) a slice or two of cucumber over the eyelids for even a few minutes work wonders.
5. My tried-and-true lemon and honey mask once a week. Just mix them together and slather on. This works well when combined with the hair-in-scrunchy tip.
6. A friend has a posture-perfect mantra: “Display the brooch!” It works wonders on those slouchy days we all have. Just pretend you’re wearing a gorgeous brooch you want the whole world to see. Your shoulders will instantly go down and back, your chest will rise, you’ll walk tall and feel great. And it’s free!
7. Joni Mitchell famously sang, “Happiness is the best facelift.” She’s right. Everyone looks radiant when they’re happy. Having a not-happy day? Well in his classic song, Smile, Charlie Chaplin advises us to, “Smile though your heart is aching.” Good advice, Charlie.
8. Tinted moisturizers are a gift from the beauty gods. They can eliminate the need for foundation and cut your prep time down to almost nothing. For around ten bucks, Neutrogena Visibly Even BB Cream is a bargain. It’s also contains a 30 SPF sunblock. That’s what I call a trifecta.
9. Breathe, baby, breathe. Two minutes of sitting quietly and taking deep breaths is a terrific calming and centering exercise that delivers amazing beauty benefits. You’ll look (and feel) rested and relaxed. Try it. It really works.
10. This is going to sound really weird, but it works. Slosh a tablespoon of the aforementioned coconut oil around and between your teeth for 15-20 minutes. Your teeth will look brighter when you’re done. Do it regularly and you’ll be amazed at the difference. P.S. – don’t spit the oil out in the sink or toilet, it can harden and clog the pipes. Use the wastebasket. (I warned you it would sound weird.)
Lis Wiehl, author of The Candidate: A Newsmaker Novel is the New York Times bestselling author of over a dozen novels. She is a Harvard Law School graduate and has served as a federal prosecutor in the state of Washington and as a tenured faculty member at The University of Washington School of Law. She is currently a popular legal analyst and commentator for the Fox News Channel.
THE CANDIDATE by Lis Wiehl. Thomas Nelson (October 4, 2016). ISBN: 978-0718037680. 352p.